Next time you are stuck at an airport due to a delayed flight or an ill-timed connection, rather than finding a quiet spot near a wall outlet (to charge one of your 10 electrical devices), try something different. Some airports offer some fascinating distractions for stressed-out fliers.
From the Telegraph:
Modern air travellers can pet a “therapy dog”, attend a concert, have their teeth whitened or admire a 42-foot statue of Gollum.
Other options include yoga and meditation for health-conscious holidaymakers (Dallas Fort Worth and Albuquerque airports, respectively) and massages for anxious fliers (New Delhi), while Hong Kong International boasts an iMax cinema.
A list of unusual activities was compiled by CheapFlights.co.uk, the travel comparison website, for its infographic “50 things to do when you’re stuck at an airport”.
Here are some of the most bizarre and surprising airport features:
– Ping Pong – tables are set up at Milwaukee’s Mitchell Airport
– Swim – a swimming pool and Jacuzzi are available to passengers at Singapore’s Changi Airport
– Health check – teeth whitening, blood pressure testing and expert physicians are all available at Incheon Airport
– Gollum – a 42-foot statue of Gollum from Lord of the Rings sits catching a fish in Wellington Airport
– Fish – Vancouver Airport has an aquarium and a jellyfish exhibit
– The stars – Tokyo’s Haneda Airport boasts its own planetarium
– A dinosaur – a 10-foot-tall, 31-foot-long Yangchuanosaurus greets passengers at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Airport
– Sleep – take advantage of specially designed ‘sleeping chairs’ in Seoul, Singapore or Amsterdam
– Snuggle with a dog – at Miami International, Casey the therapy dog wanders the terminal with her owner. Anyone is welcome to touch her
– Toilets – from Hello Kitty-themed restrooms in Taipei to futuristic electronic toilets in Tokyo, airport bathrooms have plenty of interesting facilities
– Nature – pay a visit to the rainforest without leaving the airport. A section of jungle has been transplanted into Kuala Lumpur
– Ice Skating – Seoul Incheon offers a synthetic ice rink
Read the entire article here.
Inforgraphic courtesy of Cheapflights.